Thursday, October 30, 2014

Caroline's Cart

I posted a while ago about a trip to the grocery store and how I wanted to run a lady over for asking about Will's boots and what a process it is to simply go to the grocery store. A trip to the store is sometimes Will's only outing on the weekend as we use weekends for him to rest.

After that post and some conversations with random people, I decided to use the handicap tag at the grocery store. I always am so worried someone is going to confront me in front of Will and I don't want to have that conversation in front of him, nor do I want him to see me yell at a total stranger. So there, now I use it. 

Probably for the past year our local Kroger has had something called the "Caroline's Cart" - essentially it's a big kid seat with seat belt for special needs kiddos. It's awesome. However, for the past year nearly every time I go into our Kroger all the cart boy gear is stacked up in the cart - safety vests, hats, water bottles, food samples trash - it not only irritates me, but it grosses me out. (hello immune system problems??)

So, after that above mentioned post of running a bitch the lady over, I decided to take action. I made a choice. 

I came out of the "special needs closet" at the grocery store. I know that might sound trite or silly, but I realized it was actually a choice. 

I think took me some time to decide if I wanted to place myself in the special needs category while grocery shopping. It's kind of a weird deal / choice here. If I park in a handicap spot or use this special stroller I'm admitting to myself that this is really a reality for me AND it also says to others that Will is different. 

I know he's different, but I don't want strangers to judge my boy. I want them to see his beautiful smile and inquisitive questions about yogurt drink options versus this cart or his leg braces. 

Darn near every trip I make there (with or without Will) I find a store manager and tell him about the dirty cart and how I would use it if the cart guys would just put their stuff in one of the other hundred other normal carts and keep this one tidy. I also explain that to the cart guys. They often look at me like I am crazy. 

I am crazy, many many days. 

Well now a few months later it's still sometimes full of their stuff, but it's improved and now, we use Caroline's Cart every time and Will loves it. He's got space and room to move, he can still see and talk to me and he just likes it. 

Sometimes I think I'm overreacting, but then I'm reminded of the wacko lady who I wanted to run over and how small and hurtful her actions were. 

Will is OBSESSED with throwing out the peace sign in every single picture now. 
I thank his cousin for that, but at least he has moved on from covering his face every time. 


4 comments:

  1. Peace! Love that smile - how could you not notice! I have never seen these carts - so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen these carts either! Those guys need to quit piling their junk in them. Argh. Glad you told them. Peace sign is hilarious. Will, you are so super cool. Peace out, yo.
    XOXO
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta do what you gotta do!!! Shame on folks who just don't know any better!!! You keep your chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool cart...so much easier that lugging a kindergartener into the back of the cart and then having them open/smash/spill/dump your groceries:) Keep telling them to get their crap out of there! or better yet...get more than one. Peace! from San Antonio:)

    ReplyDelete