Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Peace

Peace. I've been thinking about this word a lot lately.

Peace be with you
Rest in peace
Peace out

Definition of PEACE according to the dictionary:
1: a state of tranquility or quiet: as a : freedom from civil disturbance b : a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom <a breach of the peace>
 
2: freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
 
3: harmony in personal relations
 
4a : a state or period of mutual concord between governments b : a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity
 
5—used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell
at peace : in a state of concord or tranquility
 
I was able to make it to church tonight for Ash Wed. services and had a few minutes to further reflect on this word and I realized that peace is actually what I desire most for me, Will and Neil - and of course all our loved ones.
 
Happy, joy, sad, bitter, angry, helpless, overwhelmed, worried, anxious, fear, grief - all of these things come and go literally every day and are easy to achieve. But peace - what is that? Is it a fleeting moment in time, do I have peaceful moments?
 
How can I be AT PEACE in my soul? That's what I want and think I need to strive for - for all of us. I want to find a way to be at peace with our new normal, being ok that every time I hug and kiss my baby goodnight that it's bittersweet. I want Will to have a peaceful passing. A peaceful home - no matter if where we sleep that night is at a hospital or our house.
 
I just want to be "ok" with our life and find a way to just be at peace with it. I think I'm kind of getting there, I don't know if I ever really will, or even if I should. I want to have and will have laughter in our lives, joy and even sadness. I've realized our life is even more full because of this pain.
 
Peace is probably one of the most elusive state's of being. Best of luck to all of us.
 
PEACE OUT

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you...been a rough couple of weeks for us too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    This is a beautiful post and a good wish. Every morning when I do my meditation, I recite what is called the "four immeasurables." They are:
    May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
    May they be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
    May they always experience true happiness which is free from all suffering.
    May they remain in the great equanimity which is without attachment and aversion.

    To me that is what peace is, "the great equanimity" where we are not in a struggle to cling to attachments or avoid things we don't like. SO difficult.

    Even though I am supposed to keep wishes general and wish for "all beings" my meditation goes a bit more like this:
    May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness (esp. the Martin family).
    May they be free from suffering and the causes of suffering (esp. the Martin family).
    May they always experience true happiness which is free from all suffering (esp. the Martin family).
    May they remain in the great equanimity which is without attachment and aversion (esp. the Martin family).

    You are always in my thoughts. Big hugs to you!
    XOXO
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lori, praying with you for this. I had a Pastor once say that the world/the enemy has a counterfeit for every emotion other than peace. You have the sweetest little family and I have seen the joy that Will brings to you, Neil and everyone else...your life is definitely full! And you're amazing!
    --Rachel

    ReplyDelete