Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome to 2013

I happily threw 2011 out the window. I can't say the same about 2012. Looking back, it wasn't a terrible year, it wasn't great and everything didn't work out as WE planned, but ultimately, it's not our choice.

So, welcome 2013. What do you have in store for us? Might I make two requests?
- A cure
- A baby (or two).

That is all. I don't have high expectations of 2013 do I? (insert maniacal laugh)

The past two months, I've been focusing a lot of me. Selfish sounding yes, but necessary. I feel like we're at a place with Will that's steady. We've fallen into a new crazy world and it's taken me a long time to sort it out but, (knock on wood) I think we might have figured some of it out. However, along the way, I am pretty sure I lost a little bit of me.

I started back up on an anti-depressant after we found out we weren't pregnant in November. It had to happen and it's changed my attitude for the better. I don't get as overwhelmed, sad or anxious - though I still have my days. I bought new skin care products, got a facial, some new make up. I've been trying to grow my very chewed up fingernails out and have even succeeded in getting a manicure twice. Neil and I finally got serious about getting all this weight off and it's working.

I now know what it feels like to get to a "new normal" and am working to make it work for our family. I think my job change significantly helped ease a lot of the craziness.

2013, we're starting strong. Please don't fail me.

I'm a big fan of Dear Abby and my mom mentioned her Jan. 1 column was exceptional. I couldn't agree more...

The original credo of Al-Anon:
JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once.I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I will eat healthfully -- if only for today. And not only that, I will get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take the responsibility for my own actions.
And if I forget all that, I have my little buddy and his flashlight to guide be back to what is pure.

5 comments:

  1. I wish you much joy and babies in 2013! Love the article. You are the furthest thing from selfish. You have to take care of you to take care of Will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you every success in your efforts. I can only imagine what it's taken to get where you are today and I applaude you and your efforts.

    I hope 2013 is good to you and you have many days full of smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see your new positive perspective!!! It really does help to just take it one day at a time!! I'm joining you on the weight loss train!!! Sick of being miserable! When you look good, you feel better! Hoping we can both get back to our former glory!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope 2013 is amazing for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your last sentence got me right in the heart. love that little guy! saw him today when I dropped vincent off late too school sitting with his friends eating snack. He is so dang cute. Big hugs, mama!
    XOXO
    B

    ReplyDelete