Thursday, September 26, 2013

Michael J. Fox & Parkinson's

I remember very vividly when my mom told me she was diagnosed with Parkinson's. It was October 2008. I was pregnant with Will. My mom, sisters and I had all gone to a proper "ladies" lunch, enjoyed a fun drink (no alcohol for me) on the restaurant patio and then back to my parents house to catch up etc.

Learning my mom had Parkinson's was unknowingly one of the first of many terrifying moments in my life. Thankfully, now five years later she is still doing remarkably well. In those early months I would cry myself to sleep thankful she saw me get married, but wondering if she would be able to see my unborn (undiagnosed) son graduate from college.

I obviously have a unique interest in not only a cure or real treatments for mitochondrial disease, but also for Parkinson's. My mom and I carry the same gene mutation as Will. There's no reason why I couldn't too end up with Parkinson's one day.

Mitochondrial dysfunction is associated with Parkinson's, Diabetes, Alzheimer's and by some reports Autism.

Michael J. Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's nearly 15 years ago. It's amazing to see what research and forward movement his Foundation has amassed. He is returning to the TV screen tonight in a series premiere based loosely on his life and Parkinson's will inevitably be part of his story line.

Here is a link to an opinion piece written by the CEO of the Michael J. Fox Foundation.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-to-do-list-for-parkinsons-researchers

I have my DVR set - out of curiosity, out of appreciation and out of hope - hope that perhaps this will amplify the need for viable treatments and a cure of Parkinson's and mitochondrial disease.

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is such an incredible woman. She created such a very special place for our son for 3 years of his life. We are forever grateful. What a shining example of carrying on in the midst of adversity. Our wish for your mom is peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Michael J. Fox! Alex P. Keaton was my first crush. In fact, despite being a raging liberal I dated a conservative guy in college briefly because he was like Alex P. Keaton and I needed to get that out of my system I guess. LOL. But in all seriousness, I love what he's done to raise awareness about Parkinson's. Did you see the CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM with him on it? He lives in the same building as Larry David and Larry can't decide if he's being a jerk or its just his Parkison's. Its hilarious. Like Larry goes to his apt, and he shakes up a soda before giving it to him, and he doesn't know if Michael is just having a tremor or really trying to mess up his drink. Michael has such a good attitude about putting the realities of living with Parkinson's out there, and even giving people a good laugh....well, it raises awareness AND it shows he's not defeated despite being dealt a crummy hand. Big hugs to you, your mom, and your whole family. Also dealt a crummy hand but never defeated. <3 Rooting for you always.
    XOXO
    B

    ReplyDelete