Wednesday, November 30, 2011

EPI-743 Week 13, Day 1 at Stanford

We made it safe and sound to California. This trip has been a little more unpleasant than the first one.

I guess the Elf must have taken all of Will's magical happiness to the North Pole. He was in rare form on the plane. A combination of a poor nights sleep the night before as well as no nap. So, the plane ride was less than pleasant and all he wanted was me. Thankfully it was a light flight and we were able to space out in the back of the plane.

After wishing I had taken advantage of the in flight drinks, we landed and headed to baggage claim. The car seat never made it. Apparently it's somewhere in Denver. Not helpful. Neil and his dad went on to the car rental counter while my mother-in-law watched Will and I dealt with the missing car seat.

The nice young man at the counter who clearly did not have children told me that we could use a "loaner car seat" till they get our seat back from wherever it really is. He told me they had plenty of of car seats I said, like big ones, for 30 pound kids. Oh yes he said.

We opened up three or four of the luggage cages up and down the baggage claim area only to discover they were ALL INFANT seats. I kept trying to explain that those are for like 9 pound babies, not 30 pound  toddlers. That was a lost cause. So we hoofed it back over to his counter and as I was texting Neil to rent a car seat at the car rental counter, I saw out of the corner of my eye something big in a cage we didn't look in, which was of course three feet from his counter.

I asked him if we could open that cage and through some miracle the @*&^ was a legit car seat! We assessed the seat and it appeared to have working locks and a seat belt and off we went. Neil came around and picked us and the car seat up. We landed local time about 1:30 p.m.

Supposedly the airline is going to drop off the car seat at our hotel tonight. It's 7:45 p.m. local time. I'm hoping that it arrives soon, because we are pooped!

I don't think we were even out the airport and Will was pretty much crashed. I spent the rest of the way to Santa Clara, where we're staying, on the phone making sure we have the correct schedule and locations for tomorrow and Friday.

We arrived at the hotel about 4 p.m. and sat in the parking lot for a good while letting Will sleep off the grumpiness. He woke up, we unloaded and then went to get some dinner, diapers and ice cream :-)

Our schedule for Thursday and Friday:

9:00 a.m. - Cut off all food, he's allowed a light breakfast
10:30 a.m. - Check in at the hospital
11: 00 a.m. - Check in at the Heart Center for ECHO and EKG on his heart
Noon - No more fluids
1:00 p.m. - Check in at the basement for brain scan
3:00 p.m. - When he is scheduled for the actual scan

9 a.m. - Appt. with Dr. Enns - he will hopefully be able to review the brain scan in advance and let us know what he sees - positive or
??? Lab work
Then hopefully off to explore San Jose some more.

Head home!

Will being goofy and laying in the suitcase while we were packing.

Trying to scare us.

Passed out cold in his loaner car seat on the way to the hotel.

Second wind after mac & cheese, broccoli and chocolate ice cream plus a warm bath and cozy PJs.


  1. ugggggggh. this happened to us on christmas day when we traveled to NY to see michael's family. all our luggage and car seats didn't make it. it was our fault for being late to the airport (we were lucky they let us on the plane), but it still sucked since we couldn't find ANYTHING open to buy diapers, etc. the loaner car seats were super sketchy. the kids basically rode in booster seats. not cool. esp. at night on icy roads with grandpa driving. but again, it was our fault. I hope you got your car seat back!

    Making wishes you get great news at Stanford. Hugs!

  2. Praying for a good night's sleep and positive news. Will just keeps getting cuter and cuter! What an infectious smile!
    Trisha Edwards